The Foundation's Annual national Flag Day will take place in schools on the eve of St. Patrick's Day on THURsday, March 16th 2023.
Schools are welcome to celebrate this day at an optimal time for their school calendar during flag week in the lead up to or on flag day thursday March 16th.
next march will also bring the 175th anniversary of the first flying of the irish flag on march 7th, 1848. we are excited to commemorate this historical anniversary with hundreds of secondary schools across the state at a flag presentation ceremony in waterford on monday, march 6th 2023.
We are delighted that our network of secondary schools has continued to grow significantly each year with schools taking part nationwide in both flag day activities, celebrations and the annual awards & scholarship programme.
the vision of the foundation is to see young people of all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, genders and sexual orientation have pride in, respect for the irish flag as a symbol of peace and inclusion.
at flag day events in schools, the flags of students of different backgrounds are also celebrated along with the irish flag. the foundation funds and provides registered schools with packs to enable them to take part in all flag day and fund-raising activities:
Flag Packs are posted out to registered schools between the end of february and early March and include:
- An Irish Flag which has been flown from 33 The Mall, where thomas f. meagher first flew the irish flag
- copies of the supplements produced by the irish independent including Lesson Plans devised by the History Teachers Association of Ireland
- irish flag lapel pins to fundraise for charities and/or projects of your choosing
- promotional material and ideas for flag day events
- information on the ANNUAL AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAMME
- details on how to fulfil your gaisce award challenge through flag day should you so wish
To assist you in your classes, we are thrilled to work with the Irish Independent and the History Teachers Association of Ireland on lesson plans due to be published in The People's Flag pull-out class room supplement in march. this will contain teaching resources & information such as previous lesson plans which can be found here.
we are delighted to be a gaisce - president's award challenge partner which enables your students to earn their Bronze Award while taking part in Flag Day.